Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hug a Conservative

Here's something strange I've learned during 12 years of advising a college newspaper...

Republicans love to attack "the liberal media," but if anyone else does the attacking, those same Republicans will rally to the ramparts with you.

Consider this:

During the 2004 school year, when Student Government repeatedly tried to shut down the University Press, the student body president was a devoted Democrat who had convinced John Kerry to make a presidential campaign stop on campus.

Yet right before a trumped-up hearing to fire me, FAU president Frank Brogan ordered SG to stand down. Brogan was the former lieutenant governor under Republican Party darling Jeb Bush.

Five years later, I've been fired and the UP editor has been threatened by a student media director who's a self-professed liberal Democrat – and the UP's staunchest student support has come not from any liberal campus groups, but from the conservative Young Americans for Freedom (YAF).

How conservative? On the same page as this theatrical press release championing the UP's cause, YAF links to a KEEP KAGAN OUT day...

President Obama's nomination of Elana Kagan to the Supreme Court is his way of ensuring his socialist agenda will be upheld by the court for the rest of her life!

Can't say I agree with them. (Even my parents don't object to Kagan, and they voted for Nixon. Twice.) But I love living in a country where they can say something disagreeable without retribution. I wish I worked at a university that felt the same way.

TEST INTERPRETATION

If you took the test in the previous post, here's what your answers mean...
  1. Your favorite color = how you feel about yourself.
  2. Your favorite animal = how you feel about your spouse/loved one.
  3. Your favorite body of water = how you describe your sex life.
  4. The white room = how you feel about death.
  5. Your favorite boss = the qualities you embody most in your own management style.
I'm not sure how accurate this test is. When I first took it, I listed my favorite animal as e. coli, and two of my four words were "spineless" and "hermaphrodite" – which certainly don't describe my wife.

TOMORROW: Going straight to the top.