Because FAU officials have fought so hard to stop me from attending Friday staff meetings, and because their efforts have been so heavy-handed they've made national news, I'm often asked...
What the hell happens at these staff meetings, anyway?
Not much, really. That's what's so funny. I'm not inciting food fights in the cafeteria or reciting recipes for dirty bombs. I'm just talking about journalism. Here's an example from last Friday:
Every summer, when the staff is smaller and the publication schedule is cut in half (from every week to every other week), I give a test. It's from a Poynter Institute leadership training program way back in February 1990.
Take it yourself. It's short and sweet. The interpretations of your answers are listed at the end of the next blog post.
1. What's your favorite color? Give four one-word reasons.
2. What's your favorite animal? Give four one-word reasons.
3. What's your favorite body of water? Give four one-word reasons.
4. You are alone in a room that's completely white – floor, ceiling, carpet, and furniture. There are no windows. Describe your feelings in four one-word sentences.
5. Describe the person whom you have most enjoyed working for in four one-word sentences.
Try this in your own newsroom. Just taking the test is both fun and funny. Even student media director Marti Harvey, no fan of mine these past few weeks, took the test and laughed along with the rest of the staff – which is certainly no fan of hers right now.
For a few minutes there, it was like old times. How I wish we could all go back to them.
