Tuesday, June 22, 2010

An Honest Comment...

For the past month, FAU officials have insisted I was fired for reasons that were "organizational and not personal."

Yesterday, I posted a slideshow from my last official staff meeting, at which student media director Marti Harvey insisted...

I want to say here and now, there is not an issue with content or liking Koretzky here. It is simply a matter of an organizational structure, and I think I've made that clear.

Today I'm adding a 30-second clip from the beginning of that meeting. In it, Marti sings my praises and insists my firing has nothing "to do with anything Michael has done." Then she leads a round of applause.

I cut this from the original slideshow, but it's especially relevant right now.

Yesterday, Marti wrote the comment above and posted it to Friday's editorial in The Palm Beach Post. EIC Karla Bowser asked Marti to confirm these were her words, and Marti did.

Three things stand out here...

1. Since Marti has been at FAU for only five months, how does she know FAU has "put up" with my advising "for 12 years"? Unless someone told her. That means other administrators have complained about me. This is the first clear-cut admission that FAU's "restructuring" of student media was really aimed at getting rid of me and controlling content.

2. What did Marti loathe in the June 10th issue? This stuff. Thankfully, she's in the journalism minority. I've heard from college advisers and pro journalists around the country who have lauded that particular issue.

3. The UP has raised questions about Marti's resume here, so I won't speculate further. But I will on this: I think Marti has left the script. Last week, Student Affairs VP Charles Brown met with Karla to "clarify" that I can stay on as a volunteer adviser. Then he met with student media leaders – sans Marti – and declared FAU was ready to move forward. Subtext: This is over, everyone stop talking about it, and it'll fade away.

But Marti isn't fading, she's fighting. While I appreciate Marti's candor, I doubt her boss will.

TOMORROW: The search is on.