Monday, June 21, 2010

And It's All Caught on Tape...

Today marks one month since I was fired.

On that peculiar afternoon, I volunteered as the UP's adviser. I never imagined working for free could be so controversial.

Since then, FAU officials have made some bizarre decisions that they've explained poorly or not at all. It's almost as if they're taking PR advice from British Petroleum.

Of course, that makes for fascinating reading. Over the past four weeks, this blog has logged nearly 6,000 visits – and the editor's blog even more. The media coverage isn't dwindling, either.

Last week alone, The Palm Beach Post printed a story on Monday and an editorial on Friday. And the SunSentinel sent a reporter and photographer to Friday's staff meeting for an upcoming profile on EIC Karla Bowsher.

So this seems like a good time to bring it back to the beginning...

On May 21, I attended my last UP staff meeting as an FAU employee. It lasted two hours, but if you can spare 10 minutes, watch the excerpts.

There's anger, laughter, lecture, and liquor. And it's a big fat warning to future Student Affairs departments: If you're going to gut your campus paper, don't do it like this.

Click here to watch the weirdness.

TOMORROW: The truth comes out. And it hurts.