Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Phone Fun, Part III


Let's meet finalist No. 3 from last week's telephone interviews for assistant student media director...

Annie Hammock is a producer for the CNN and Headline News websites in Atlanta. Her resume says she "fulfills multiple concurrent key leadership functions" and "facilitates television/online integration efforts, ensuring the synchronous exchange of materials between HLN and CNN.com."

Thankfully, she talks better than she writes. Hammock's interview was the friendliest of the afternoon. She also has the highest level of real-world journalism experience, which included five years as a Headline News writer and six as a copyeditor.

She was also the only candidate to pose this question before the committee could ask it: "There's obviously been some tension between students and administration, and I wanted to know from the students if they feel like they can have a positive working relationship with whoever is chosen. Could they support that person given the current atmosphere?"

Wow. Damn brave question. And quite clever asking only the students.

I was pleased to hear the editor, the TV manager, and the radio manager all offer their support. But EIC Karla Bowsher gave the best answer...

I don't see current tension affecting this new relationship. I do think if someone such as yourself were selected, you might have an awkward position because, to be honest, you would out-qualify your boss. But as far as you and the student newspaper, we're all looking forward to the new hire. I don't know why the tension I have with some certain administrators right now would automatically carry over to you.

Hammock was the only candidate to hit this head on. She replied to Karla...

I do feel like there's some awkwardness involved into coming into this role. But I think I have a positive outlook and would hope to start right from the beginning with a very forward-thinking relationship with students.

I liked Hammock best. So I don't think she stands a chance. She arrives on campus July 27.

TOMORROW: Why this new person will be promoted within a year.