Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Phone Fun, Part II

Let's meet finalist No. 2 from last week's telephone interviews for assistant student media director...

Michael Douglas is a broadcast instructor at a small private college near Miami and was previously a TV reporter in Georgia, Alabama, and Texas.

Journalism professor Bob Bailyn – who posed the best questions of the afternoon – asked him, "Do you think one of the goals of student media is to keep the administration honest?" Douglas replied...

As long as the students are doing their jobs as far as learning to be fair, learning to be balanced, and reporting what they know to be fact, that's part of the educational experience and that's part of what the student media should be about.

Good answer. Then the TV station manager asked, "What do you know about the climate of student media here? Have you been following our situation?"

I know there's been a little uproar. I've been reading some things in the SunSentinel. It's called transition. It's hard for some people to understand. But that's the nature of higher ed, and that's the nature of life. Sometimes decisions are made. 

I thought: Did he read the same SunSentinel stories I did? I consider threatening the editor to be a transgression, not a transition. So does the Society of Professional Journalists and Student Press Law Center.

I think Douglas is running a close second to Mariutto. He arrives on campus July 28.

TOMORROW: Meet finalist No. 3.