Karla asked how she knows FAU had "put up with" me for 12 years – especially since Marti has been at FAU only six months.
Marti's answer: Koretzky told me so.
Actually, I was speaking to what Michael has said. I can’t personally attest to Michael’s relationship with the university. I do know, however, even through things Michael has said, that the relationship has not been good, particularly with entities like the School of Communication, Student Government, and administration. And what I’d really like to see us do is establish relationships with the other parts of the university, so when we do have these tough issues to tackle, we can do it constructively and honestly.
Marti is lying about the first part of her evasive explanation – I didn't work with her long enough to confide in her – but she's telling the truth about the second part. I was rarely on good terms with administration, Student Government, or the School of Communication. And I don't doubt Marti will succeed where I failed.
If you go back and read Monday's post, you'll get a glimpse of Marti's concept of student media: "Make FAU better."
That's going to be easier to sell than my concept: "The editors decide, I just advise."
God knows I tried, though. I had a theory: If I played nice with Student Affairs on everything else, maybe I'd earn the benefit of the doubt when we quarreled over free-press issues.
So, for instance, when the FAU president hosted a charity holiday party with a two-cans-of-food cover, I showed up with a case of canned fruit. When the College of Education needed a Student Affairs representative on its Distinguished Scholar Lecture Series committee, I volunteered to organize the least-fun part: the catering.
Twice when the campus radio station had no adviser, I did it for free. In fact, I was doing that when I was fired.
So much for that theory.
FREE YOUR MIND AND THE PRESS WILL FOLLOW
Here's another theory: The problem with FAU administrators – and their peers at many other schools – is that they consider the First Amendment as negotiable as any other facet of campus life. And I don't blame them, because they've never been taught any different.
Here's a quick example...
During our Student Government elections in 2007, the UP editors wanted to host a debate with the candidates for student body president. The campus TV station agreed to film it, and the candidates were excited – until SG elections officials said no.
Those officials – students with no training themselves – insisted that any debate had to be certified and approved by them. I went to their office and calmly explained that the candidates have the right to free speech and don't need permission to speak to a free press. I even confirmed this with a media attorney and offered them his phone number so they could chat with him.
Instead, they called Terry Mena, at the time an assistant Student Affairs dean. Then Terry called me.
"Let's talk about this," he said. "Let's set up a meeting. Because I'm not sure if we're going to allow this. We might be able to find a compromise, though. Maybe you can submit it to the Elections Commission and they can fast-track an approval.""The students don't need permission," I told Terry. "We can certainly talk about it, but I'll advise the editors not to seek the Election Commission's approval, because that'll set a terrible precedent."
We never did meet, and the debate happened without a hitch. But I was told later by an outgoing assistant dean (who was also my direct supervisor) that I had irked Terry with my "stubbornness."
"Terry thinks you could've compromised," she told me with a shrug.
"How do you compromise on the First Amendment?" I asked.
"I don't know," she said, "but he's taking over for me. So he's your new boss."
Mena is now Marti's boss. I can only imagine what compromises she's been asked to make.
TOMORROW: Once again, FAU is blurry about the law.


