For the first time all summer, the top two women in FAU’s student media have agreed on something major.
For an hour last Wednesday, University Press editor Karla Bowsher interviewed student media director Marti Harvey about a wide range of UP-related topics.
(Marti had refused to comment unless a formal interview was set up through Media Relations. That took a while.)
Early on, Marti talked about the UP’s coverage choices…
I’ll be honest with you, I think when you splash those kind of things on the pages of the newspaper, it makes it look as though all you’re looking for is a sensational story – when I believe, Karla, very sincerely, what you’re looking for is to make FAU better. If the ultimate goal is to make FAU better…
Karla interrupted with, “Whoaaa.”
Marti replied, “Well, you want FAU to be the best college it can be, and that’s why you work as a reporter.”
That led a few moments later to this exchange…
Marti: I do really think you’re first inclination should be, “What can we do to make this situation right?” Because that is your function as a reporter.
Karla: The news is our function. It’s to give the readers the news, whether it’s good or bad, so that they’re informed and can come to their own conclusions. Now I know why we have such a philosophical difference.
And the two women agreed they indeed differ. But because they clash on such a core belief, I doubt they’ll agree on much else the rest of Karla’s term, which expires in December.
In fact, the interview climaxed with Marti accusing Karla of having "an agenda" and Karla calling Marti a "liar."
TOMORROW: Where it all went wrong.
