• "Within a short period of time, we will have full-time media advisers for each of the media outlets. That is the reason we're making the changes that we're doing."
• "We are working to bring in revenue into student media. That revenue will ultimately pay for us to have full-time advisers. The goal would be to have a full-time adviser for each media outlet."
• "There is not an issue with content or liking Koretzky here. It's simply a matter of an organizational structure."
• "Mr. Koretzky teaches students the National Enquirer method of journalism and FAU has put up with it for 12 years."
Last Friday, after two weeks of silence, Marti told the UP's editors what she meant by that last comment, which she added to the end of a Palm Beach Post editorial.
"Michael teaches the National Enquirer form of journalism," Marti confirmed. "It's based on his experience."
As for my experience, I spent six years as a freelance copy editor and occasional page designer for all the tabloids. In other words, I've had the same number of bylines in the National Enquirer as Marti has had in the Dallas Morning News.
In my Huffington Post column this week, I described what it's like to work at the tabloids. But I'll add the following...
Marti defined "the National Enquirer form of journalism" as "your sourcing is not good enough for a reputable news outlet." But the Enquirer is actually impeccable with its sourcing. Even the Pulitzer Prize Board conceded this year the Enquirer could be nominated for its accurate expose on former presidential candidate John Edward's affair and out-of-wedlock child.
I'm neither proud of, nor embarrassed by, my stint at the supermarket tabloids. It was one of many jobs I've had. (Check my resume for the others.) My advising is informed by all my freelance and full-time work, which includes Top 50 daily newspapers, alternative news weeklies, national websites, and an international jazz magazine.
I'm not hurt by Marti's opinion of me, but I think Marti hurts the UP when she preaches only one form of journalism as "reputable." Besides, I believe it's up to the students to choose. And since they've won awards and landed jobs in the media over the past 12 years, I've come to trust their judgment.
