This time next week, I'll be back in the UP newsroom. Or I'll be
in jail.
My last day at FAU coincided with our regular Friday staff meeting, which was packed with 60 alumni, students from all three media outlets, SG leaders, the student media director who fired me, and her boss, the Student Affairs associate dean.
They heard me announce the following...
The editor in chief has asked me to keep advising the paper. So I've agreed to volunteer as your adviser for as long as you'll have me. I'll continue to help you publish the cutting-edge journalism that has won this paper awards and its staff jobs. I just won't get paid for it.
The media director and the dean did not appear as pleased as the rest of the room. They were the only ones not applauding. (Even the SG leaders clapped, which sort of freaked me out.)
I told the staff that if Student Affairs is serious about improving the newspaper – as it has proclaimed all week – then my free help will be welcomed. Especially since there's no adviser at all right now, and there's no timetable for hiring one.
However, if Student Affairs is cloaking this "re-organization" as a back-door scheme to control a newspaper it has often tried – and failed – to rein in, my offer won't be embraced.
Alas, it turned out to be the second one.
The media director and dean both said they wouldn't permit me to volunteer until "we sit down and we talk about it." I suggested now was a good time. They said they wouldn't do so publicly.
The dean said guest speakers are really events, and so they must be approved 10 days in advance via an "event registration form" – which I've never filled out in 12 years of inviting local and national journalists to speak in our newsroom.
One alum, now a high-school journalism teacher, asked, "So if Koretzky shows up next week, are you going to arrest him for trespassing?"
The dean said nothing and shrugged his shoulders. It was a weird moment.
Another alum asked the same question, and the dean replied tersely, "I don't respond to hypotheticals."
Well, it's not hypothetical. Next Friday, I return to the newsroom to host our weekly staff meeting. Hell, there are worse things in the world than getting busted for teaching journalism.
13 comments:
Tear 'em up sir!
I'm planning on leaving work early again to be there.
If FAU is trying to save money (or face) it isn't likely that they'll arrest you Captain.
I guess we'll see.
If there's anything I can do as to helping FAU's student journalists out, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help advise (though I've never been to FAU.)
Best of luck, Koretzky.
Thanks,
Matthew Boyle
Professional Journalist
matthewboylenews.com
Let me know what time you're going so I can be there with my camera. I'm thinking a nice sepia-tone 8x10 might be nice. I mean, nothing looks so good with sepia-tone as handcuffs do---gives it that old-timey look.
--Werder
I applaud you Koretsky! As a parent of an FAU alum and an old FAU alum myself I don't think the FAU admin understands the insanity of this move! I know you totally inspired and guided my daughter and many other students to "freely speak and report" the news. Isn't that a constitutional right?? Hmmmm...Someone either has a hidden agenda or they are out of touch!
Koretzky,
As a FAU alum and former UP writer, I stand behind you and support you. You deserve to be there, because you have transformed that paper and the staff into something truly amazing. Are they doing this to simply try to save money? If so, what a way to go about it.
Keep us updated and best of luck to you.
Kay Trudel
Fantasy Sports Advisor
CBSSports.com
This is the new era in higher- level education. Hire admin's. with no former experience or background to which they are now responsible for, so they can feel threatened by those under them who know more and do a better job. Problem is FAU is funded in part by endowments, grants and contributions from some great media giants. Wait till they hear this one.
Koretsky, what is your address? Someone I know wants to send you a note.
Koresky, I think you have a good First Amendment lawsuit if they arrest you, paticularly if the staff meetings are considered public meetings.
FAUTOCRATIC is quickly becoming my favorite blog!
My favorite part is the "nut graf".
I have even showed this to my students.
I have an idea Captain; why don't you see if you can add a countdown clock on your blog? You can call it: Koretzky's Countdown to Incarceration.
Set it for this Friday (5/28) @ 2:00 p.m.
I will see you there. Don't worry. I intend to leave the scotch at home... this time.
FAU-gate at its best. If Nixon wasn't dead, I'd think he orchestrated the entire thing.
Keep fighting! Those students need you.
Mike,
Please open up comments so that readers do not need to go all the way back to the original page to make one (comment).
Is there not a way to make it so that readers can comment on each individual post?
Make it so number one!
Thank you Captain.
Sincerely,
Your Readers
Post a Comment